May 15, 2011

Treadle


My MIL moved into a condo in a retirement community recently and because she didn't have a lot of room, she gave me her treadle sewing machine.  It's beautiful and in beautiful condition.  However, I'm having a very hard time finding ANY information on it.  It's got the name Cumberland on the sewing machine but no other names or name plates.

Photos by Tracey Van Slyke

The only thing my husband was able to find was a needle model list that lists the Cumberland under the Davis company.  It's also very, very, very similar to the Missouri Model "C" which was sold by Sears in the early 1900's.  However, after searching and searching the internet, we've had zero luck finding anything.  Oh well, we'll keep trying.

Have a great week!

7 comments:

  1. Cumberland is listed in Laws' book as made by Davis, but I'm not sure this one is one of those. I'll see if I can get someone else to hlep you.
    By the look of the Cumberland decal it is a badged machine - ie made without a name for the seller to put their own name on it.

    Dorothy in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dorothy! If you look at the stitch length adjustment knob in front of the pillar you will notice that it does indeed have the peculiar shape to it that all Davis Machines have. At least all the ones I have seen.
    Nancy B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a Davis "M" machine, version 3. Davis made and badged these machines to be sold by different distributors under different names. This machine and its cabinet both look extremely similar to the Davis machine badged to Laidlaw Leeds Rival. The cabinet carving and irons look like they match exactly, except for the drawer pulls, which are very easy to replace. The decals are not like the ones on the LLR machine, but Davis put very similar decals on other machines such as the Burdick.
    Ruth in rural south Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure look like Davis irons to me. So I'll join in with the rest and say Davis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really beautiful machine. I hope you enjoy years and years of sewing on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Dora. I feel very blessed to have it. I also have an antique Singer in a case that was my grandmother's. I treasure these.

    ReplyDelete