July 22, 2010

A Little Vacation and Space

I took a few vacation days before the start of football season.  Because we only live about 2 1/2 hours from the Kennedy Space Center, we headed down yesterday morning.

It was fun.  We hadn't been there in about 15 or so years.  We took the bus tour that took us to and around the VAB building, 

 
the Saturn V Center (where they now store one of the big Saturn V rockets that took our astronauts to the moon), and the International Space Station Center (forgot to take pictures because I was watching the men in the clean room get their stuff ready for space).


I wish more Americans would come and visit this wonderful place.  We took space walks and trips to the moon for granted and now our Shuttle program no longer exists.  My husband grew up in Melbourne, Fl which is just down the road from the space center, during the 60's and 70's.  He told me stories of how America was so proud of itself and came together to do something big.  Boy, did we ever do something big.  He said people were so proud of living there and it was a very exciting place and time to be.  He seemed sad to see it all now and to know our space program is not being funded.  I'm sad as well.   Maybe in the next decade someone will see the value of the need to explore and we will do something big once again.  I can only hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment